This ghost town can be found in North Central New Mexico. The name Loma Parde means "Gray Hill". The history of this locale could rival most famous and notrious towns in the Southwest.
"A considerable prostitution operation was located not in the village itself, but in caves near the fort where, as early as 1852, street prostitutes from Santa Fe traded sex for goods stolen from the fort's warehouses. In a six-month period, the army lost 9,379 pounds of bacon, 5,254 pounds of clear sugar, 4,303 pounds of coffee, and similar quantities of soap, candles, and dried peaches. Prominent in these cave-centered transgressions were Maria Alvina Chaireses (AKA "Black Sus"), and Maria Dolores Trujigue y Rivale. The post physician had noted sixty cases of venereal disease associated with these female troglodytes and their sisters in sin."
- Excerpt from article titled:
Sin City or Pastoral Paradise?
Thomas P. Lowry